Tonbridge School recently built a brand new science block which combines cutting-edge technology and design with the existing heritage of the old building.
The Tonbridge School’s requirements were based around longevity, product sustainability and environmental impact. Along side of this the school had a very clear plan as to what they wanted to achieve. ISG worked closely with the endusers, architects and building contractor to provide a solution that was not only fit for purpose but that vastly reduced ongoing costs through the use of VAV (Variable Air Volume) systems and polypropylene corrosion proof cupboards.
Initial Brief: Design a fit for purpose system over and above what was specified in the tender documents. The cupboards design had to be perfectly suited to specific teaching needs of not only the school overall but down to the subject being taught and the teaching location. A secondary goal was to enhance and improve environmental impact and longevity.
Design and Specification: The specification of the 10 fume cupboards included:
- Metal FREE design – Eery cupboard was built from polypropylene to eliminate corrosion forever
- VAV (Variable Air Volume) – This ensures safe, compliant face velocities whilst reducing air loss (and thus the energy required to heat/cool the replacement air)
- 360° viability ducted cupboards for full class demonstrations
- Touch screen control systems and VAV calibration system
- Ceramic worksurfaces in all units
- Extra-large sinks to allow easy washdown
- Black gas and water taps to fit in with the buildings aesthetics
- Autogas shutoff systems
Bespoke Design Service